Skip to main content

Students who are Parents

Information about the funding for which you may be eligible can be found on the Student Finance England website or Your entitlement to student support may also be affected if you have any previous study in a Higher Education Institution, even if you did not complete the course.

Universal Credits/Welfare Benefits

The majority of full-time students are not eligible to claim Welfare Benefits, which is now Universal Credit. 

Exceptions to that rule include some of the following groups:

  • Single Parents
  • Students regarded as disabled by the government
  • Students who are of a pensionable age
  • Couples with a dependent child, where both parents are students
  • Part time students – studying fewer than 16 hours per week. (Part-time students will be able to apply for welfare benefits but a partner’s income will be taken into account.)

Benefits are calculated by comparing your income to levels set by the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP). Income includes your Maintenance Loan (less a fixed amount for books and travel), which is divided by the number of weeks in the academic year.

These groups may be able to claim some assistance to cover the summer period by making an application via the Universal Credit system.  For further information on the exceptions please ask at the Advice and Representation Centre.

Other Financial Support

Child Benefit

If you are responsible for a child, as a full time student you can still claim Child Benefit.


Tax Credits

You can get Tax Credits even if you are a full-time student.

If you or your partner are working and have a fairly low income, you may get Working Tax Credit; however, in some case you need to be aged 25 or over. How many hours you need to work will depend on your circumstances,

If you are responsible for children as a lone parent or as a member of a couple, you may get Child Tax Credit.

See the Turn2Us Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit information guides for full details about who can claim. Most student support income is ignored but some additional payments may count as income.


Dennis Turner Fund (DTF)

The Dennis Turner Fund was set up by the University of Wolverhampton, named in the memory of Lord Bilston, former Wolverhampton MP Dennis Turner, with kind agreement of his family.

The application is means-tested but if successful, most awards made will be non-repayable.

The following groups are priorities for support from the DTF:

  • Students with children
  • Disabled students (especially where DSA is unable to meet particular costs)
  • Students who have entered higher education from care for the period of time spanning their 16th birthday (regardless of age now)
  • Students who are 18 to 24 and have no communicative relationship with either living biological parent, or often their wider family
  • Students from Foyers or who are homeless
  • Students from low income families
  • Students receiving the final year loan rate 

Find out more or apply directly through your University e:vision account, via the Fees and Bursaries tab.

Learning Support

The University offers a variety of general study skills which you may find useful.  There are a range of workshops, study guides, links to online resources and activities that will help you develop your academic study skills.

Topics include preparing for your exams, reading and note-making, succeeding at group work and improving your presentation skills.

More detailed information from the Skills for Learning website.


If you have specific learning difficulties such as Dyslexia, Dyspraxia or Dyscalculia, you may be eligible for extra support. Contact the Student Support and Wellbeing website for further information.

Last reviewed: May 2022

Powered by MSL