Skip to main content

Housing Advice

The first thing to do before you start looking for accommodation is to consider what your priorities are. Start by making yourself a wish list of the top things you wants from your ideal property, then compare your answers with friends.

Be honest! Would you prefer a house where the party never stops, or one that is clean and tidy? Do you want to live with others? How much can you afford for rent? Would you rather pay an all-inclusive rent (all bills included)?

Armed with this information, you can then consider your options...

University Accommodation

Private Halls of Residence

Living At Home

Private Rented Accommodation

Private Rented Accommodation

If you are looking for private rented accommodation (houses/flats/apartment) in the Wolverhampton area, you can search the Local Authority list via where you will find many different types of property listed. As not all landlords will let to students, when searching for a property, be sure to check that students are mentioned in the property advert.

Rent with Confidence is Wolverhampton City Council's "star rating" scheme for landlords.  We would recommend that any property above 3* should be considered (ideally 4* or 5* depending on what you can afford) as this shows that the property has met certain standards we would consider "good" quality.

When house hunting, remember; 

BE REALISTIC of what you can get for your budget

VIEW the property (inside and out) before you agree to anything

DON'T PANIC or rush into anything, there really is a surplus of good quality accommodation in the area


Since 1 December 2014 your landlord has been required to check the immigration status of anyone requesting to rent from them. This is usually as simple as taking a copy of your passport and/or biometric card so please be aware that you may be asked to produce this for ID. You can find more information on the Right to Rent: Immigration Checks by Landlords from the NUS site.

Letting Agents

If you cannot find what you are looking for on the Rent with Confidence list, there are also a number of letting agents in the City that will let to students.  Although we cannot vouch for any specific agent, a list of those we know currently let to students can be found HERE


Some landlords offer a room in their own home to students. This is often called "Home Stay" or "Lodgings" you can find a list local people offering a room to students 

Assured Shorthold Tenancy (6 Months Minimum)

Short Term Lets (Less Than 6 Months)

Tenancy Deposit Protection

Council Tax

Repairs and Environmental Health

TV Licensing

Last reviewed: May 2022

Powered by MSL