Union Chair is the chair of Shadow Council, the body that holds elected officers to account and verifies that Create Change actions are accomplished. Union Chair also hears democratic complaints, and has a role in ensuring the Union's Code of Conduct is upheld.
They scrutinise the work of the Sabbatical Officers, and help students engage effectively with democracy, working with Create Change to form and pass new policy.
Support and Time Commitment
Union Affairs Officer and Democratic Procedures Advisor (staff support)
- Shadow Council: 2 hours every 3 weeks
- Democratic Procedures: 2 hours per semester, outside an election. Up to 4-5 hours a week during an election
- All other duties, including student contact: 1-2 hours a week
Term of Office
- 12 months, commencing July (if elected in Spring)
- 12 months, commencing October (if elected in Autumn)
- Includes handover period after Convention Council
All roles on Shadow Council conclude during Convention Council, which is held at the end of the democratic year in May. Councillors may hold one vote on Shadow Council but can pass that vote by proxy to another Councillor or Officer.
Qualification for Role
You must be a current and continuing student at the University of Wolverhampton when elected, and a member of the Students' Union. You must be available for the time commitments listed above, especially for Shadow Council meetings and during the Sabbatical Elections.
A minimum of 10 students need to vote for candidacy.
The key responsibilities and duties that the Union Chair undertakes are:
- To Chair members' meetings of the Students' Union; including Shadow Council.
- To be familiar with Create Change.
- To be available for consultation on democratic complaints
- To talk to students face-to-face, and online, and share their concerns and issues raised.
- To talk to the Sabbatical Officers, Union, and University staff.
- To campaign for change using Create Change.
- To promote and bring about change based on their manifesto promises.
- To be professional in fulfilling their elected role and duties, abiding by the Code of Conduct.
© 2019, University of Wolverhampton Students' Union