Purpose of the role
The Trustees are ultimately responsible, individually and collectively for all activity within the Students’ Union. The Board of Trustees is responsible for setting the direction and strategy of the organisation and for ensuring the delivery of organisational purpose.
The Trustees are responsible for ensuring that the Students’ Union operates within Charity and Company law and meets its obligations under other relevant legislation.
All Trustees have a duty to:
• Ensure that the Students’ Union acts in accordance with its charitable objects as defined in the Articles of Association and other guiding documents and remains true to its vision, mission and values
• Help the Students’ Union achieve its objectives and improve the lives of its members
• Ensure that the Students’ Union complies with its governing document, all relevant legislation and regulations, including relevant charity law, company law, education acts and any other relevant legislation or regulations
• Ensure that the Students’ Union uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects
• Contribute actively to the Board of Trustees’ role in giving firm strategic direction to the Students’ Union, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and targets;
• Safeguard the good name, reputation and values of the Students’ Union
• Ensure the effective and efficient administration of the Students’ Union
• Ensure the financial stability of the Students’ Union
• Protect and manage the property and intellectual property of the Students’ Union and to ensure the proper investment of the Students’ Union’s funds, acting as guardians of the Students’ Union’s assets, both tangible and intangible, taking due care over their security, deployment and proper application, and ensuring the Students’ Union uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objectives
• Appoint the Senior Staff member for the Students’ Union and monitor their performance
• Identify and promptly communicate conflicts of interest, acting with integrity and avoiding personal conflict of interest or misuse of charity funds or assets
• Participate fully in Board Meetings
• Seek professional external advice where there may be material risk to the Association or where the Trustees may be in breach of their duties, or at any other appropriate moment.
• Ensure decisions of the Board of Trustees and its Committees take account of the needs and views of the Union members.
• Ensure the Union considered the needs and views of all student groups including as examples postgraduate, international and pa part time students
• Ensure effective communication between the Union and its members