Now that you have finished your course and are leaving University there will be a few things you need to know and do. 

If there are any matters which are not covered here or you are unsure about, please drop in or contact the Advice and Support Centre, and we will try our best to help.

Applying for benefits

If you do not have a job by the end of term you will be able to register as being unemployed and looking for work. 

If you fall within an eligible group, you may already be in receipt of certain benefits and when you leave Univerasity you must inform the DWP, in writing, of your change of circumstances as your weekly income will no longer include Student Support, so a reassessment of your benefit will need to be made.

Council Tax & Council Tax Reduction

From the day after you cease being a student, you become 'visible' for Council Tax purposes.  If you are liable for Council Tax and your income is low, you may be entitled to Council Tax Reduction.  Your own circumstances will need to be assessed so contact your local Council Tax Office.

Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance

If you receive income benefits, you may be able to get Housing Benefit but this will depend on your own circumstances. If you own your own home then you are not eligible for Housing Benefit.  You may be able to get some housing costs met through your JSA, you would need to make enquiries.

Paid Employment

You can register with the University's Jobs and Events system at, once you have registered, you will receive details of vacancies via email.

Keep an eye out for recruitment fayres, often advertised in the national press as well as the University's Careers & Employment Centre.  Also, your local Job Centre advertises local and national jobs.

Voluntary Work an excellent way to gain work experience and learn skills that employers are in search of.

Repaying your Student Loan - Student Loans Company Ltd, 100 Bothwell Street, Glasgow, G2 7JD. Repayment enquiries 0300 100 0611

General Advice

Bank Accounts - Many banks offer a graduate account after you finish your studies, this may allow you an interest free overdraft for a limited time, check what your bank can offer.

Updating contact information -  If you move away from the area make sure to update your details with your Student Office at the University, Doctor's or Dentists.

If you require any information/advice, please do not hesitate to contact us. email:

and finally.....

We hope that you will look back on your time at the University of Wolverhampton with many happy memories - Good Luck with job hunting and your future career!

Keep in touch