Student Parents



Student Parents

Information about the funding for which you may be eligible can be found on the Student Finance England website or Your entitlement to student support may also be affected if you have any previous study in a Higher Education Institution, even if you did not complete the course.

Nursery Provision

The University of Wolverhampton has it's own nursery facilities for students (and staff) with young children.

Jobseekers Allowance/Income Support (JSA/IS/ESA)

Most students who are studying full-time are not eligible for income-based/contribution based JSA, Income Support or Employment Support Allowance

Exceptions to the rule include some of the following groups:

*  Single parents

*  Student couples with a child/children

* Students with disabilities

These groups may be able to claim some JSA/IS/ESA to cover the summer period.  For further information on the exceptions please ask at the Advice and Support Centre.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit

Full-time students can request a Council Tax exemption letter through e:vision. If you fall into one of the categories above and pay rent on your home then you may be able to apply for Housing Benefit.

Part-time students may apply for several of the above benefits dependant on qualifying conditions e.g. disability, dependents, household income etc.

Whether full or a part-time student, household income will be taken into account in any income assessed benefit application. This includes most earnings, savings and student finance payments. Check with the Advice and Support Centre for what is disregarded.  You can also get further advice and information on benefits, charities and trust funds at Turn2Us

Learning Support

The University offers a variety of general study skills which you may find useful.  There are a range of workshops, study guides, links to online resources and activities that will help you develop your academic study skills.

Topics include preparing for your exams, reading and note-making, succeeding at group work and improving your presentation skills.

More detailed information from the Skills for Learning website.

If you have specific learning difficulties such as Dyslexia, Dyspraxia or Dyscalculia, you may be eligible for extra support. Contact the Student Enabling Centre website for further information.


Financial Support While You Study

Funds are available to provide financial help to students if they are able to prove genuine financial hardship, that might impact on their ability to continue at the University.  You need to have exhausted all other financial means i.e. overdraft, student loan etc, before applying to the Dennis Turner Opportunity fund.

Dennis Turner Opportunity Fund