Student Carers





For more information about bursaries, emergency funding and other forms of financial support available from the University please see

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit provided by the Government to certain carers who provide at least 35 hours of care per week. Students registered on full-time courses are not eligible. See the website for more information about the eligibility criteria.

Student Finance England Adult Dependants' Grant is means-tested grant for students who have an adult dependant. Find out more at

Family Action is an organisation which provides small Welfare Grants and Educational Grants to people in need. See



Your own Local Authority can provide assessments of need and support for carers as well as the adults and children they care for.

Contact details for some of those most local to the University are given below. 

Otherwise, you can find the contact details of your Local Authority using

Wolverhampton City Council

Walsall Metropolitan Borough Council

Telford & Wrekin Council

Burton Upon Trent (Staffordshire County Council)

Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council

Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council

Birmingham City Council


VOLUNTARY ORGANISATIONS (in alphabetical order):

Alzheimer’s Society: Providing information, advice and support to people living with dementia and their carers

Carers Trust Providing local services and support for carers and online support including: ? Matter Online space for young adult carers aged 16-25 to share experiences and receive one to one support from professionals.

Carers Space An online community for any carers over the age of 18.

Carers UK: A national organisation providing advice on financial and practical matters related to caring. You can talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who has experience of caring and understands what you are going through.

Macmillan Cancer Support: Information, support and resources for people affected by cancer, including carers.

MIND: Providing support to people affected by mental health issues and their carers.

Multiple Sclerosis Society: Providing information, support and resources to people with Multiple Sclerosis and their carers.

National Association for Children of Alcoholics: Provides support to children and adults of any age who are concerned about an addicted family member.

National Autistic Society: Provides support for people with autism and their families.

Parkinson’s UK: Provides support for people with Parkinson’s Disease and their families.

Samaritans: You can contact the Samaritans at any time to talk to someone about any problems that you may be experiencing.

Stroke Association: Provides support for people who have experienced a stroke and their families.