The Student Switch Off
The Student Switch Off is an interhall energy-saving competition running at the University of Wolverhampton. Prizes are given out at the individual and communal level over the course of the academic year to encourage students to adopt simple energy-saving actions such as switching lights and appliances off. Key to the success of the initiative are individuals who pledge to use their energy carefully and encourage their friends to do so as well. These individuals are rewarded for their energy-saving actions with prizes over the course of the year.
Prizes on offer
• Ben & Jerry’s ice cream vouchers and merchandise
• NUS Extra cards
• Tickets to Fun Factory @ Walkabout
• Energy-efficient gadgets (water-powered alarm clocks)
• Party for the hall that saves the most energy.
Every 2-3 weeks during term time we run picture competitions where students who submit energy-saving photos on the Facebook fanpage win prizes such as Ben & Jerry’s ice cream.
Energy-saving actions that the campaign is encouraging
• Switching off lights and appliances when not in use
• Covering pans when boiling water
• Only boiling as much water as necessary in the kettle/pan
• Putting an extra layer of clothing on rather than turning up the heating
How does the campaign work?
We are comparing the energy usage of the Halls this year to the previous years using measurements taken from electricity meters. The amount of energy saved by each Hall will be divided by the number of students in that Hall.
How can students get involved?
• Become a fan of ‘Wolves Uni Student Switch Off’ on Facebook
• Promote the campaign to friends and encourage them to save energy.
• Take energy-saving photos and put them on the facebook group to win prizes!
SWITCH OFF – SAVE ENERGY – WIN PRIZES!
For more information, contact your Welfare VP, Gemma Wright:
t: 01902 322117